The Mission of Eva's Farm
Owned by Roberto and barriann Alonzo
The mission of our business is to connect families to the possibility of achieving a healthy diet with our local products. Our butcher shop has an old-fashioned feel that carries meats from animals raised on small, local, sustainable farms. We offer five unbeatable facts:
1. Our meat is raised locally. We will offer only premium products from local farmers who have raised their animals on either a primarily grass-based diet or in an organic manner as well as other dairy products and locally-grown vegetables.
2. Our animals are treated humanely. These animals live natural stress-free lives, never treated with antibiotics, hormones, or fed animal-by-products and therefore produce healthy, great-tasting meat, milk and eggs. Their diets are GMO-free, and the grasses are never sprayed with pesticides. Our pastured beef is abundantly marbled ensuring a tender texture and a deep, rich flavor. By working in partnership with local farmers we guarantee our rigorous standards are always carefully maintained.
3. Our meat offers health benefits. Pastured meat is; lower in total fat with more “good” fats and fewer “bad” fat, higher in beta-carotene, higher in vitamin E (alpha-tocopherol), in the B-vitamins thiamin and riboflavin, also higher in the minerals calcium, magnesium and potassium, higher in total omega-3s, has a healthier ratio of omega-6 to omega-3 fatty acids (1.65 vs. 4.84), higher in CLA (cis-9 trans-11), a potential cancer fighter, higher in vaccenic acid (which can be transformed into CLA), and lower in the saturated fats linked with heart disease, free of hormones, antibiotics or other drugs.
4. Our business is good for the environment. Our commitment supports local farmers and minimizes environmental impact. Industrial farming requires transportation, processing, packaging and fossil fuel usage that puts tremendous stress on the environment. For example, between production and transportation, growing 10% more produce for local consumption in Iowa would result in an annual savings ranging from 280,000 to 346,000 gallons of fuel, and an annual reduction in CO2 emissions ranging from 6.7 to 7.9 million pounds.
5. Our product is affordable. In general, pastured meats cost 15% more than factory farm meats available at a supermarket chain store but it’s worth it. Here’s why: Additional land is required to cultivate grass-fed beef. The quality and maintenance of that land has to be very high. Grass-fed cattle require an average of 7 months more in order to grow large enough to go to market while grain-fed cattle fatten up quickly. More staff is required to give cattle the optimal care, provide a low stress environment and excellent nutrition throughout their life. Our butchering process uses dry aging techniques to improve flavor which also takes time. Economics favor a large corporate farm over an individual grass-based farm but your health is worth the small increase in price.
The “why” behind our passion:
Our passion behind this business comes from our personal experiences with food and health. I am a Type 1 diabetic and allergic to gluten. In researching what celiac (allergy to gluten) was and how it gets into food, my wife and I were amazed at the way our food is processed. We decided to transform the way we eat, not only for ourselves but for our daughter.
My wife and I then took a look at the meats we were eating and used the information below, which compares grass-fed to grain-fed; to further help us make the decision to eat sustainable and organic food. We have made a table to help compare the information as well.
Important Consideration Grass- Fed vs. Grain-Fed
* Nutrients in Grass Fed= Lower in overall and saturated fats, higher in omega-3, up to 4 times as much Vitamin E, higher in CLA- a nutrient associated with lowering cancer risk Provides 15% to 50% of the omega-3 that grass-fed provides
*Nutrients in Grain-Fed=Greater risk of E. Coli and mad cow disease
*Calories Grass Fed=Up to 100 calories less than grain fed
Grain Fed=Fattier, more calories
*Lifestyle Grass Fed=Free roaming, live outside, grazing on grass or hay
Grain Fed=Fattened with grain which is hard to digest, treated with hormones, antibiotics and
additives to speed their growth
*Taste Grass fed = leaner, more varied
Grain Fed=Tough, bland
My experience, skills, and strengths I personally bring to this new venture stretch over decades. I was born and raised in Argentina by a family of commercial meat butchers where I learned most of my skills that I now use in my current profession.
Growing up, my family raised chickens, pigs and cattle for the butcher shop that my father owned; my father also owned the slaughterhouse. When I became old enough, I opened and ran my own successful butcher shop in Argentina for 10 years which I left to my mother to come here, to the USA.
Being involved with this process all throughout my childhood and early adult life has led me to aspire to opening the same type of business here in Massachusetts.
These past experiences have helped me understand the hard work and dedication needed to be successful in this industry. The biggest driving factor behind my business is that I also want my daughter to grow up with a more organic lifestyle and learn what it means to eat healthy. She understands the importance of knowing where food comes from, and how animals have been treated.
Our butcher shop will work as shops did 50 years ago, just like when I helped my parents in their business. It all starts by team members contacting, visiting, selecting, pricing and buying all kinds of livestock and products of farmers (cows, pigs, chickens, turkeys, calves, etc.) as well as cheese, vegetables, milk, and anything we will need for our business.
210 South Main Street
Middleton, MA 01949
MONDAY - SATURDAY
Closed Easter, Thanksgiving
and New Years Day
EVENTS and SPECIALS
Butchering classes offered any time for groups!
Class is $500 per class with the maximum of 10 people per class. The following class topics are available:
1. How to cut half a cow
2. how to cut half a pig
3. Sausages Cured Meats, and chicken
Limited Time Specials!
Our Own Dry Aged Beef Specials While Inventory Lasts!
-GF Dry Aged Bone In Ribeye: $16.99/lb
-GF Dry Aged Boneless Strip: $14.99/lb
-GF Dry Aged Porter House: $16.99/lb
-GF Dry Aged Filet Mignon: $20.99/lb
20% off 100% Organic Grass Fed Beef:
-Organic Boneless Ribeye Roast: Regular $16.99/lb NOW $ 14.15/lb!!
-Organic Boneless Strip Roast: Regular $14.99/lb NOW $12.49/lb!!
-Grass Fed Wagyu Beef Tips: Regular $24.99/lb NOW $20.99/lb!
Eva's is excited to announce a few new homemade items that we are offering! Come in and try them today!
-Sugar Free and Regular Turkey Bacon - $ 8.99/lb
-Hotdogs - $6.99/lb
-Beef Jerky - $3.99 per 4 oz Bag
CSA Program - Our csa program is available from April to September and is a month by month program so please note that you have to sign up for each month separately. You can either stop in or call to place payment of $200 by the 1st of each month. You will get to choose 12 items off of the list below and can pick items up throughout the month as long as all 12 are picked up by the end of the month, no exceptions! To place an order for immediate pick up, you can email before stopping by. We no longer can take csa orders in advance due to no freezer space to store orders.Items will be marked immediately after order is taken and those items will be lost if not picked up. Call with any questions.
CSA ITEMS INCLUDE:
-3 lbs Boneless Chicken Breast
-4 lbs bone in chicken breast
-3-4 lbs Whole Free range Chicken
-3 lbs Marinaded Chicken(rOASTED gARLIC gf, lEMON pEPPER gf, gARLIC tERIKAKI)
-3 lbs Chicken Wings
-3 lbs boneless thighs
-4 lbs chicken legs
-3 lbs Pot Roast (Chuck / Bottom Round)
-3 LBS OVEN ROASTED TOP ROUND / EYE ROUND
-2 LBS NY SIRLOIN STEAK
-2 LBS SIRLOIN TIPS(Plain, Steakhouse GF, Sweet bourbon GF, Teriyaki gf, Chimichurri and honey chipotle)
-3 LBS 85% gROUND BEEF
-3 LBS sTEW bEEF
-5 LBS BONES FOR SOUP
-4 lbs short ribs
-Bacon and Cheddar
-4 lbs Boneless Pork Butt
-3 lbs Bone In Pork Chop
-3 LBS BONE IN PORK ROAST
-3 LBS BONELESS PORK CHOPS
-3 lbs Pork Sausage(Sweet italian, hot italian, chorizo, roasted garlic, santa fe, jalapeno herb, low salt sweet italian)
-3 lbs Boneless Pork Roast
-3 lbs ground pork
We are very involved in our community. Below are images taken during our many events that we hold here at Eva's Farm each month. Check our Events Page to see what events are coming up this month!
(Click on each image to view full size)
210 South Main Street Middleton, MA
Call (978) 624–7084
15 Enon Street Beverly, MA
Call (978) 564–3200
from 9am – 7pm Mon-Sat and Sun 9am - 6pm
or or email us with any questions at firstname.lastname@example.org.